Down Payment Assistance
If paying for a down payment and closing costs have kept you from getting into a home of your own, OHFA's Down Payment Assistance may be able to help. Eligible borrowers utilizing in the First-Time Homebuyer program, Target Area Loan product, and Ohio Heroes product can use the assistance to greatly reduce the out-of-pocket expenses associated with buying a home.
If you qualify for one of OHFA's home loan products, you can choose to take advantage of the Down Payment Assistance.
- OHFA will issue assistance in an amount of 2.5% of your home's purchase price.
- You can use the assistance to pay for the down payment, closing costs, or other prepaid expenses incurred prior to closing. Keep in mind that while the assistance will greatly reduce your expenses, you may still be required to pay for some costs out of pocket.
- If you take advantage of the assistance, your mortgage interest rate will be .5% higher than OHFA's current mortgage rates.
Do I Qualify?
To qualify for Down Payment Assistance, you must meet all requirements for your OHFA loan product. Check requirements for the First-Time Homebuyer Program, Target Area Loan product, and Ohio Heroes product.
In addition, you must either:
- Complete a free homebuyer education course offered by any HUD-approved housing counseling agency, or
- Use OHFA's Streamlined Homebuyer Education.
You can download information about our loan products from our download center.
Your lender and/or real estate agent can guide you through the home buying process and answer any questions you may have regarding OHFA's Down Payment Assistance. You can also check out our homeownership FAQs for more information.
If you need additional assistance, please contact:
Office of Homeownership
Ohio Housing Finance Agency
57 East Main Street
Columbus, Ohio 43215
The Ohio Housing Finance Agency is an Equal Opportunity Housing entity. Loans are available on a fair and equal basis regardless of race, color, religion, sex, familial status, national origin, military status, disability or ancestry.